We have a relative, through Tressie, that came across the plains with the Willey or Martin handcarts companies by the name of Catherine Nightingale. The story is that she was lost while collecting fire wood and a snow storm hit hard and she was found by the fringe of her red shawl. This is her headstone and as you can see, it has a shawl carved in the headstone. (That is a very summed up version of what I know.) If there is anyone who knows the full story, would you please email me at lisastorey1@comcast.net and I will post it here or better yet, leave it as a comment here so that we can all read it. I would love to know it. If you have pictures, send them along as well.
Thanks!
Thanks!
This is the front of the tombstone. It has the name Henry Oswald on it. From what I have found out, her husband was buried in St. George Utah so I am wondering if this is her son.
This is her information on the back of the tombstone. There are questions as to when she married her husband and I know that he had another wife, but when did he marry the other wife, before or after leaving England?
Here are Tressie's parents and they are located in the same cemetery as Catherine Nightingale Barlow. It just brought back a ton of memories of Great-Grandma Young when I saw this. I remember Grandma Tressie taking care of her and that she was a very small woman with a contagious smile and if memory serves me right, she was strict. She passed away when I was 10 years old.



No comments:
Post a Comment